Sunday, December 5, 2010

All Girl

I have always been amazed at Laura's natural gravitation toward all things girly, especially given the fact that I am not particularly a "girly girl" myself. I don't wear much jewelry or makeup, I don't dress up very often these days, I paint my nails maybe once a year at the most.....yet somehow my little girl is, well, all girl. Her latest big event at school has played right into this. Every year, the ballet company here in town performs The Nutcracker. They also have a artist-in-residency program with the public school system in which they do demonstrations for the grade schoolers over the course of several days in the areas of choreography, costuming and makeup. This culminates with a mini-performance of The Nutcracker for the whole school. Only one school in the city gets selected for this program in a given year, and as luck would have it, this year that school was Laura's school. All week, she has come home telling me about the demonstrations. She watched one of her classmates get makeup applied just like the dancers. She and her class learned to do some of the dance moves. And, of course, they got to see the beautiful costumes the dancers wear. Friday was the in-school performance, and Laura promptly came home and asked for her dress-up clothes and her Spanish fan. That being said, I will let the pictures speak for the rest........



What she doesn't know yet is that we've landed on some tickets to the real, live production of The Nutcracker two weeks from now. Shhh......we'll let her be surprised! :)

And then, there's the other little one.....who is all boy.........

Gina

No comments: