Saturday, June 19, 2010

Summer Livin'

Well, as Cliff pointed out to me this week, he is halfway through his summer break (which, technically, seems absurd since we're just now approaching the first day of summer; such are the oddities of the academic calendar!). So, I thought it would be appropriate to mention some of the "summer type" activities we've enjoyed thus far:

-We've enjoyed weekly family swims at various locations, including the Cooper YMCA's outdoor pool and the lake at Pawnee State Recreation Area just west of town. We are working on getting the kids more comfortable with the water. Laura particularly enjoys jumping from Dad's shoulders into Mom's arms when we go swimming in a lake (as we also did on our Memorial Day camping trip). As for me, I'm still a pool girl; I love the super fast slide at the Cooper pool!

-We've enjoyed going to the weekly Jazz in June concerts on the UNL campus. Cliff takes the kids in the bike trailer, and I meet them there after I teach at the Y on Tuesday evenings. We relax on a blanket, listen to the music and let the kids run around and have fun.

-We've discovered the fabulous Lincoln Farmers' Market which happens in the Haymarket area of downtown Lincoln every Saturday morning from May through October. It is much, much bigger than the farmers' market in Sioux City. In addition to produce stands, there are tons of craft booths, other food vendors, and live music. We took a family bike ride to this and agreed that is was very, very cool.

-We've checked out the Celebrate Lincoln International Festival, which is in its waning hours as I type this. Cliff was hired to sub in today at the festival playing with....a polka band! How could he say no to such a quirky gig? Tonight, he is playing a wedding with the polka band too.

-I've enjoyed teaching my water fitness classes outside at Prairie Life Fitness. I only teach 2 classes per week there, but their outdoor pool is fabulous, so it is nice to teach in the sunshine.

-While I teach at PLF, Cliff and the kids spend some time at a nearby park having some good "little kid playground fun."

Still coming up......
-More camping (dates and locations TBA).
-Lincoln Municipal Band concerts in the park (Cliff is also playing in two of them).
-A short trip to Colorado next week for a reunion of Cliff's friends from high school.
-A visit from my parents.
-Friday night concerts at South Pointe Pavilions outdoor mall.
-Ice cream from the UNL Dairy Store (just a few blocks from our place).
-.....and so much more!!

Mom & Nathan enjoying Jazz in June:


The kids being silly together:
Cliff (far left) playing with "Less Talk More Polka" at the Celebrate Lincoln International Festival:

Gina

1 comment:

ricktowner said...

Looks like a fun summer for the Cliff Towner family. Our Lake is only 67 degrees so haven't been swimming yet.